Monday, March 14, 2016

Coloring Ducklings

Add contrast!
You may have noticed that I posted a new blog header recently. Here are a few step-by-step photos of my coloring process for the cute row of ducklings that I used on my header. I made this picture a few weeks ago, while demoing for the University of Oregon Ducks bookstore. (I figured this picture was  appropriate for the U of O.)

Once again, I need to give credit to my dear friend Maaike in the Netherlands for the beautiful reference photo. The whole process, from line-drawing to final coloring took about 6 hrs.

As with most of my illustrations, I started with a pencil sketch based loosely on the original photograph. Then I traced the pencil drawings with a 0.1mm black inking pen. I copied the outline onto my favorite marker paper.

I started coloring the little ducklings, as they were the focal point of the whole image. Y11, Y21,YR000, R81, YG91, Y28, YR14, E44, E47.

If you look close, you can see a corner of the reference photo peeking out. The log that the ducks are on sits in a murky, swamp with lots of interesting colors floating on the water. It took a lot of markers to suggest the water tones. At this point I was pushing at least 30 colors, so I stopped keeping track of all of them.

I like to put a lot of subtle base colors into things like the logs, then I add my dark colors to build up the variations. Compare the back log, which I've already darkened, to the log in the foreground. It is easy to see the yellows, pinks, oranges, and green in the light log. Then, when I add dark tones, it feels less flat. Also notice the pale blue I added on the underside of the log to suggest a watery reflection.

Contrast makes things jump. So, to make sure the ducklings are bright yellow and dynamic, I tried to keep the water behind them nice and dark. I added dark green dark blue, dark purple, dark browns, and all sorts of colors into the water so it looked murky but alive.

The grasses in the background are not as important, so I didn't emphasize those as much and I kept my stronger contrast in the foreground. However, I threw in a little airbrushing to darken it up back there.

My demo time was quickly ending, and I knew it would be a while before I could come back to finishing this piece, so I wanted to get it done before I left. A big risk with any complicated piece of art is overworking it. Knowing when to stop is important! Having a time limit has kept me from overworking many good pieces.

Here is the finished piece, including final touches of white added back in with the Copic Opaque White with a built-in brush. Scanning in artwork and color-correcting makes a world of difference (the lighting at the demo did not bring out the richness of the colors).

I hope you enjoyed the limited tutorial. It's hard to remember to take process photos when I'm also helping customers. May your week be just ducky!




7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such a gifted artist! The ducklings are just adorable. Thank You for sharing.

Shari said...

So very beautiful. 💗💗💗

Lisa Lara said...

Now this just blows me away!

Embroideress said...

Love the ducklings! I had one named Fuzzy Wuzzy when I was a child!

vasudeva said...

wonderful blog post
Visit our website for best astrological services contact. Best Astrologer in Bangalore

Anton Dcruze said...

I really appreciate your efforts for this blog. This is so informative. Keep it up and keep sharing such posts.
Crafting an assignment a night before submitting is really a daunting task. Sometimes students fail to submit their assignments before deadlines due to multiple reasons. Sometimes they don’t have enough time to craft their assignment on their own because they are used to busy with their exam preparation. Therefore, they seek for someone to Do my assignment for me so that they can submit their assignment on time.

Online Shiksha | Online Tuition Classes and Education Tips said...

Hi,
This is really a nice blog by you. I really appreciate your efforts for this blog. Keep it up and keep posting such blogs.
Education plays an important role in every person’s life. Without proper education you can’t expect a bright future. This is the reason why every parent asks their children to study properly. But not every child has much interest in study. Sometimes we should develop the interest of our child towards studies so that they will themself start studying. In the world of digitalization, Online tuition is the best way to develop interest in students' studies. You can take online tuition for class 8, 9, 10 or for any class for your child and see your child growing.